• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Rebel Rose

Rebel Rose

Welcome to our first Seasonal Varietal Tasting! I'm so excited to get started.

Since we're just booting up and it's late summer already, I thought instead of picking a particular varietal, we could all just share our favorite summer wines and get to know each other a little.

This thread will run until September 1, when we'll move on to another varietal or category. See proposed schedule.

That will give everyone time to order wines, buy a particular favorite, taste wine with friends, whatever fits your schedule.

I have just ordered two bottles of a wine I want to introduce you to, and I am so excited about it I just have to tell you a little about it, even though the bottles won't arrive until later this week. I have only ever had one glass of this wine, at a sashimi-bowl party, and it blew my socks off. We drank a lot of good wine that night, but I kept coming back to the Siegerrebe and peering mournfully into the empty bottle.

The grape is called Siegerrebe, a cross between Gewurztraminer and Madeleine Angevine. I thought it was extraordinarily complex and delicate, and I can't wait to try it again (and enjoy a whole bottle by myself). So, tasting notes to come!

Meanwhile, feel free to share your favorites and/or ask questions.

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.7e4b410598bc4a4a8a0f998610a89f51.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

Rebel Rose

Rebel Rose

Welcome to our first Seasonal Varietal Tasting! I'm so excited to get started.

Since we're just booting up and it's late summer already, I thought instead of picking a particular varietal, we could all just share our favorite summer wines and get to know each other a little.

This thread will run until September 1, when we'll move on to another varietal or category. See proposed schedule.

That will give everyone time to order wines, buy a particular favorite, taste wine with friends, whatever fits your schedule.

I have just ordered two bottles of a wine I want to introduce you to, and I am so excited about it I just have to tell you a little about it, even though the bottles won't arrive until later this week. I have only ever had one glass of this wine, at a sashimi-bowl party, and it blew my socks off. We drank a lot of good wine that night, but I kept coming back to the Sieggerebe and peering mournfully into the empty bottle.

The grape is called Sieggerebe, a cross between Gewurztraminer and Madeleine Angevine. I thought it was extraordinarily complex and delicate, and I can't wait to try it again (and enjoy a whole bottle by myself). So, tasting notes to come!

Meanwhile, feel free to share your favorites and/or ask questions.

IMG_0224.thumb.JPG.7e4b410598bc4a4a8a0f998610a89f51.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG