• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mleonnig

mleonnig

On 11/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, gfweb said:

That certainly is true.

I'd take it further and say that US BBQ doesn't make for much of a restaurant experience even in the US.  Its pretty monotone and largely too sweet for my taste.

I would disagree. It's quite possible that you have not explored enough us barbecue because the US in particular is known to have the most diverse and wide-ranging regional Styles and not all of them are sweet. A lot of styles focus on vinegar based sauces even Alabama has their own regional mayonnaise based sauce.  Santa Maria style 'cue in California is not sweet either.

I would also say the barbecue joints are not necessarily supposed to be a "restaurant" experience but are a unique "dining" experience all their own.

mleonnig

mleonnig

On 11/10/2023 at 10:01 AM, gfweb said:

That certainly is true.

I'd take it further and say that US BBQ doesn't make for much of a restaurant experience even in the US.  Its pretty monotone and largely too sweet for my taste.

I would disagree. It's quite possible that you have not explored enough us barbecue because the US in particular is known to have the most diverse and wide-ranging regional Styles and not all of them are sweet. A lot of styles focus on vinegar based sauces even Alabama has their own regional mayonnaise based sauce in Santa Maria style out in California is not sweet either.

I would also say the barbecue joints are not necessarily supposed to be a "restaurant" experience but are a unique "dining" experience all their own.