• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Ditto the Fromage Fort recommendation. I've used this recipe from David Lebovitz with varying cheese mixtures and good results each time.   If your cheeses are less interesting, Melissa Clark has a recipe for Jalapeño Fromage Fort in her recent book.  The recipe is available online here (scroll down) 

Edited to add that I've had only one cheese that completely resisted my efforts to grate it with my mouli-juilenne.  It's an old dry jack (Vella Golden Bear) that was rock hard when I bought it and has become like glass over time.  I will be trying @andiesenji's steaming method on it very soon!  If that fails, it will be joining the Parm rinds in soups!

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Ditto the Fromage Fort recommendation. I've used this recipe from David Lebovitz with varying cheese mixtures and good results each time.   If your cheeses are less interesting, Melissa Clark has a recipe for Jalapeño Fromage Fort in her recent book.  The recipe is available online here (scroll down)