• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Everything turned out well in this first attempt at using the oven. It's a great size for baking a single 9x5 loaf of bread, there is plenty of room for air to circulate. I find the user interface a bit daunting, but at this price point you can hardly expect physical buttons for all of the features this machine has, so I think the tradeoff is worthwhile. I did get a fair amount of water buildup in the base of the oven during the proofing stage, but that didn't seem to negatively affect the baking -- even without mopping it up the coconut browned with no issues when baking. I did let the oven run at full temperature for a half hour before baking -- the built-in preheat mode seems strange to me, I don't understand the temperature limitation. Finally, although it will affect basically no one except me, I wish the light stayed on instead of turning off after 30 seconds. Taking time-lapses of things baking or rising is going to require a separate robot to keep pushing the light button. It's a sort of hilarious robot to build, but it does mean some extra work.

LOL - I'm picturing the light pushing robot. It is annoying though that you can't just turn on and off the light.

And there is nothing intuitive about the controls - they are quite frustrating and you have to pull out the book every time you want want figure out which two buttons to push to check the temperature or to preheat on bake vs preheat on stream. I keep going over and whacking the power button instead of the >II button and turning the damn thing off when I'm trying to program. 

Kerry Beal

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Everything turned out well in this first attempt at using the oven. It's a great size for baking a single 9x5 loaf of bread, there is plenty of room for air to circulate. I find the user interface a bit daunting, but at this price point you can hardly expect physical buttons for all of the features this machine has, so I think the tradeoff is worthwhile. I did get a fair amount of water buildup in the base of the oven during the proofing stage, but that didn't seem to negatively affect the baking -- even without mopping it up the coconut browned with no issues when baking. I did let the oven run at full temperature for a half hour before baking -- the built-in preheat mode seems strange to me, I don't understand the temperature limitation. Finally, although it will affect basically no one except me, I wish the light stayed on instead of turning off after 30 seconds. Taking time-lapses of things baking or rising is going to require a separate robot to keep pushing the light button. It's a sort of hilarious robot to build, but it does mean some extra work.

LOL - I'm picturing the light pushing robot. It is annoying though that you can't just turn on and off the light.