• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Flying High in Amsterdam

Kerry Beal

On 2/19/2020 at 4:48 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Dinner later tonight at Vatten Ramen Zeedijk

Dutch ramen story: five years ago when my husband was on sabbatical, we spent three months living in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium. I got super-excited during our first couple of days when, as we walked around town learning where things were, I saw a number of shops that had "RAMEN" signs with large letters.

Remember what I said earlier about not being at all fluent in Dutch? Turns out that ramen is Dutch for windows. These all were stores that sold windows, not Japanese noodle restaurants.

On 2/25/2020 at 12:26 AM, demiglace said:

Chicken ham ? 

My Parisian family refer to chicken lunchmeat, particularly the kind sold already sliced in packets, as "chicken ham". I guess "ham" has become a generic term for any kind of sliced meat that goes into a sandwich, at least in France. (My family may have been using a direct translation from the French jambon when they talk about it in English.) Is it possible you saw a similar usage?

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 2/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, MelissaH said:

Dutch ramen story: five years ago when my husband was on sabbatical, we spent three months living in the Dutch-speaking part of Belgium. I got super-excited during our first couple of days when, as we walked around town learning where things were, I saw a number of shops that had "RAMEN" signs with large letters.

Remember what I said earlier about not being at all fluent in Dutch? Turns out that ramen is Dutch for windows. These all were stores that sold windows, not Japanese noodle restaurants.

My Parisian family refer to chicken lunchmeat, particularly the kind sold already sliced in packets, as "chicken ham". I guess "ham" has become a generic term for any kind of sliced meat that goes into a sandwich, at least in France. (My family may have been using a direct translation from the French jambon when they talk about it in English.) Is it possible you saw a similar usage?

I've been given "ham" sandwiches that weren't. It could very well be a generic term for deli meat. Interesting.

• Like 1