• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bentley

Bentley

Wow...what a difference between Greweling's Recipes and @schneich's recipes on page 2 of this thread: 

I'm going to make them both tomorrow, but my guess is that Grewelings will be more like an American style firmer cut caramel, and Schneichs' will be more like a Genin-style chewy soft caramel.  40g of butter to 680g of sugar  (in Grewelings caramels using fresh dairy) vs 700g of butter to 1000g of sugar in Schneich's.  Talk about different approaches!  Greweling isn't using lecithin, so if Kriss Harvey is using it, I am guessing he tends towards the "more butter" side of the spectrum.  

Bentley

Bentley

Wow...what a difference between Greweling's Recipes and @schneich's recipes on page 2 of this thread: 

I'm going to make them both tomorrow, but my guess is that Grewelings will be more like an American style firmer cut caramel, and Schneichs' will be more like a Genin-style chewy soft caramel.  40g of butter to 680g of sugar vs 700g of butter to 1000g of sugar.  Talk about different approaches!  Greweling isn't using lecithin, so if Kriss Harvey is using it, I am guessing he tends towards the "more butter" side of the spectrum.