• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

A few years ago I was into baking bread, and had been making my way through "The Bread Bible" when my routine blood tests revealed that it was time to stop eating so much bread.  

I had also been using Rose Levy Berenbaum's pre-ferment prescription to adjust bread recipes from other breads to incorporate a pre-ferment.  Her pre-ferment prescription involves some of the flour; part of the yeast; and all of the water.  

Altho I've cut WAAY back on bread, in general I've been using the pre-ferment method with any yeast breads, including vaguely sweet breads.

So, I'm making a cinnamon bun recipe for a Christmas brunch (I have no other cooking obligations!); the recipe involves two rises.  Is there any reason not to do a pre-ferment when the liquid is milk, and not water?  

I'm sorry to ask a question that may be incredibly rudimentary to accomplished bakers, but I really have no idea!  

SLB

SLB

A few years ago I was into baking bread, and had been making my way through "The Bread Bible" when my routine blood tests revealed that it was time to stop eating so much bread.  

I had also been using Rose Levy Berenbaum's pre-ferment prescription to adjust bread recipes from other breads to incorporate a pre-ferment.  Her pre-ferment prescription involves some of the flour; part of the yeast; and all of the water.  

Altho I've cut WAAY back on bread, but in general had been using the pre-ferment method with any yeast breads, including vaguely sweet breads.

So, I'm making a cinnamon bun recipe for a Christmas brunch (I have no other cooking obligations!); the recipe involves two rises.  Is there any reason not to do a pre-ferment when the liquid is milk, and not water?  

I'm sorry to ask a question that may be incredibly rudimentary to accomplished bakers, but I really have no idea!