• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Those smaller bottles of colored cocoa butter go a lot farther than they look like they will. But if your only chocolate is dark, you're gonna want to make sure one of those bottles is white or get your hands on some white chocolate for backing if you really want bold colors to show. As far as $$$ goes, Kerry has pretty much shown you the least expensive options for getting a variety of colors. There are no options I've found that qualify as actually being cheap. I'm with pastrygirl on the contrasts using different chocolates. I have a decent variety of colored cocoa butters and a couple airbrushes... none of which see a whole lot of use. And it has the added benefit of you then have different chocolates to work with for shells and fillings as well.

Tri2Cook

Tri2Cook

Those smaller bottles of colored cocoa butter go a lot further than they look like they will. But if your only chocolate is dark, you're gonna want to make sure one of those bottles is white or get your hands on some white chocolate for backing if you really want bold colors to show. As far as $$$ goes, Kerry has pretty much shown you the least expensive options for getting a variety of colors. There are no options I've found that qualify as actually being cheap. I'm with pastrygirl on the contrasts using different chocolates. I have a decent variety of colored cocoa butters and a couple airbrushes... none of which see a whole lot of use. And it has the added benefit of you then have different chocolates to work with for shells and fillings as well.