• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

On 11/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, Kim Shook said:

I'm not really sure when this will get used.  We often have our "holiday dinner" in January.  We will invite parents and various strays who aren't too tired of turkey.  My MIL has made it pretty clear that Jessica and I won't be contributing to Thanksgiving.  She told Jessica that "her family" likes very traditional food.  I admit this makes me feel weirdly left out.  And honestly pissed on my daughter's behalf.  Her cousins grew up being schooled in pie-making by this grandmother, so they will have their "traditional" sleep over at grandma's Thanksgiving Eve to make pies.  I know full well I should get over it after all this time.  I'll try again this year.  🤐😉

I read in Tom Wolf's novel that Virginia is supposed to represent some kind of old aristocratic South.

I wanted to see it myself when I was younger and did an internship in Charlottesville, VA, one summer.  

The place was beautiful. 

A college professor told me when she was living there, the culture was kind of snobbish and you had to have money etc. or else people will see you as less. 

But I do wonder if maybe that exclusivity you mentioned had something to do with that old aristocratic Southern culture

eugenep

eugenep

On 11/11/2019 at 11:31 PM, Kim Shook said:

I'm not really sure when this will get used.  We often have our "holiday dinner" in January.  We will invite parents and various strays who aren't too tired of turkey.  My MIL has made it pretty clear that Jessica and I won't be contributing to Thanksgiving.  She told Jessica that "her family" likes very traditional food.  I admit this makes me feel weirdly left out.  And honestly pissed on my daughter's behalf.  Her cousins grew up being schooled in pie-making by this grandmother, so they will have their "traditional" sleep over at grandma's Thanksgiving Eve to make pies.  I know full well I should get over it after all this time.  I'll try again this year.  🤐😉

I read in Tom Wolf's novel that Virginia is supposed to represent some kind of old aristocratic South.

I wanted to see it myself when I was younger and did an internship in Charlottesville, VA, one summer.  

The place was beautiful. 

A college professor told me when she was living there, the culture was kind of snobbish and you had to have money etc. or else people will see you as less. 

But I do wonder if maybe that exclusivity you mentioned had something to do with that old aristocratic Southern culture I hear about sometimes in VA.