• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chocofoodie

chocofoodie

Update:

I've changed the ratio as per @PastryGirl recommendation.  The result was a liquid that was a lot more like regular melted dark chocolate. It was much thicker and sat in the molds better. The good news is, after taking it out of the fridge it was very promising. It seemed tempered and it didn't melt as quickly when I touched it. The only trouble is that after it sat on the counter it completely wilted. I actually had both bars on the counter at the same time, the original with the double fat and the modified. The original remained solid at room temperature. So I guess the large amount of fat somehow helped it to be in temper. Now that I need to modify the recipe to halve the fat, should I table it to temper it before pouring into molds? If so, what temperatures should I use? Would it be the same as for dark chocolate couverture (heating to 45 and cooling to 33)?    

chocofoodie

chocofoodie

Update:

I've changed the ratio as per @PastryGirl recommendation.  The result was a liquid that was a lot more like regular melted dark chocolate. It was much thicker and sat in the molds better. The good news is, after taking it out of the fridge it was very promising. It seemed tempered and it didn't melt as quickly when I touched it. The only trouble is that after it sat on the counter it completely wilted. I actually had both bars on the counter at the same time, the original with the double fat and the modified. The original remained solid at room temperature. So I guess the large amount of fat somehow helped it to be in temper. Now that I need to modify the recipe to halve the fat, should I table it to temper it before pouring into molds? If so, what temperatures should I use?