• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, minas6907 said:

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors. 

Yes, they contain freeze dried fruit powder, some have sugar and milk.  Ingredients are listed on AUI's site, here's the strawberry

1055086646_ScreenShot2019-05-20at3_59_17PM.png.e0712b1c7db76808cffae7c56b333a71.png

7 minutes ago, keychris said:

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based"

I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.

I'm not sure about the pectin claim either, I thought you needed water for pectin to have effect.

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Are you sure these are flavored and those colors aren't just creatively named? Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong, but I don't see any indication of the extra ingredients that would flavor them, It just says no preservatives, no added flavors and no added colors. 

Yes, they contain freeze dried fruit powder, some have sugar and milk.  Ingredients are listed on AUI's site, here's the strawberry

1055086646_ScreenShot2019-05-20at3_59_17PM.png.e0712b1c7db76808cffae7c56b333a71.png

6 minutes ago, keychris said:

I hate how they market this stuff. "Richer in pectin and natural fruit sugars, blah blah is less brittle". Yes, that's because you've added fruit powder to the cocoa butter. It's not pure cocoa butter any more. "No added colours" ... wtf? cocoa butter isn't red and orange and black naturally, so clearly there ARE added colours. What they mean is something like "no added things that you might perceive as nasty like titanium dioxide, don't worry it's all fruit based"

I don't see the point of flavouring the cocoa butter, to me cocoa butter is purely decoration, not flavour.

I'm not sure about the pectin claim either, I thought you needed water for pectin to have effect.

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious? And there is a market for

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 minute ago, keychris said:

But why not add flavor?  Why settle for just pretty when you can have pretty and delicious?