• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lindag

lindag

On 11/12/2019 at 7:32 AM, eugenep said:

it's like there's this pleasure from drinking beer that's similar to eating food 

but there's not just that 

it's like this second feeling of pleasure that you get from alcohol - almost like it makes things brighter and much more exciting than they otherwise would be 

and more beer does increase this 

but - here's this strange part - I know having more beers or alcohol after a point doesn't increase pleasure but makes you feel worse 

but that pull for more is still there. 

I always thought it was strange - that pull for more - even in the absence of pleasure or anything positive 

It's like I have this self awareness about it and then I stop but that pull is strange 

like I wonder what it is? I think some label it as "addiction" but it doesn't really explain things 

It might be important where and with whom   this happens.

Are you with friends in a bar or restaurant?  Or are you home by yourself.

I'm more likely to have a second if I'm out for lunch.  If I'm home I only want one.

With mixed drinks, at home I'll have one, then I don't want another, but at 5PM I'll follow that drink with a glass of wine (or two).  That's happy hour for me, followed by dinner.  If you have no problem stopping with two I sure wouldn't worry about it.  YMMV

lindag

lindag

On 11/12/2019 at 7:32 AM, eugenep said:

it's like there's this pleasure from drinking beer that's similar to eating food 

but there's not just that 

it's like this second feeling of pleasure that you get from alcohol - almost like it makes things brighter and much more exciting than they otherwise would be 

and more beer does increase this 

but - here's this strange part - I know having more beers or alcohol after a point doesn't increase pleasure but makes you feel worse 

but that pull for more is still there. 

I always thought it was strange - that pull for more - even in the absence of pleasure or anything positive 

It's like I have this self awareness about it and then I stop but that pull is strange 

like I wonder what it is? I think some label it as "addiction" but it doesn't really explain things 

It might be important where and with whom   this happens.

Are you with friends in a bar or restaurant?  Or are you home by yourself.

I'm more likely to have a second if I'm out for lunch.  If I'm home I only want one.

With mixed drinks, at home I'll have one, then I don't want another, but at 5PM I'll follow that drink with a glass of wine (or two).  That's happy hour for me, followed by dinnter.