• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

To add link to recipe

Ground Lamb and Potato "Chops" with Sambal Oelek from Season p 175.   Not sure why they are called "chops" but the header notes say they are a Goan speciality.  Ground lamb is cooked with onion, garlic, ginger, apple cider vinegar, Sambal Oelek and cilantro,  then stuffed into patties made of mashed potato.  The patties get brushed with egg, dipped in breadcrumbs and shallow fried.   

IMG_0788.jpg.adb83c0f97b4af4849e1240da2ab34b7.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg.be71acf450857624fdffc5a5b003f567.jpg

I did a quick comparison of baking (on the left) and pan frying per the recipe (on the right). Baking worked fine and I like the overall browning vs the pale sides that result from frying. I spritzed with olive oil and baked at 425 with convection for 10 minutes, then increased to 450 for a couple minutes to enhance the browning. Not sure that was necessary, but I was curious. Tasty, either way with that Hot Green Chutney p 277. 

Recipe available online here

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

Ground Lamb and Potato "Chops" with Sambal Oelek from Season p 175.   Not sure why they are called "chops" but the header notes say they are a Goan speciality.  Ground lamb is cooked with onion, garlic, ginger, apple cider vinegar, Sambal Oelek and cilantro,  then stuffed into patties made of mashed potato.  The patties get brushed with egg, dipped in breadcrumbs and shallow fried.   

IMG_0788.jpg.adb83c0f97b4af4849e1240da2ab34b7.jpg

IMG_0792.jpg.be71acf450857624fdffc5a5b003f567.jpg

I did a quick comparison of baking (on the left) and pan frying per the recipe (on the right). Baking worked fine and I like the overall browning vs the pale sides that result from frying. I spritzed with olive oil and baked at 425 with convection for 10 minutes, then increased to 450 for a couple minutes to enhance the browning. Not sure that was necessary, but I was curious. Tasty, either way with that Hot Green Chutney p 277.