• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

eugenep

eugenep

I use MSG and water in place of stock sometimes when for example, a recipe says to do a 2-3 hour braise of offal in stock (to take out the gross gamey odor in offal) and then to throw away the stock. 

I would be wasting 2-3 liters of my hard to make stock if it weren't for MSG + water substitute. 

I grew up with the media bias against MSG when I was a kid so as an adult it's like I still have this childhood belief that's difficult to change. 

But based on new information about MSG, when I go to an Asian restaurant and if they use MSG, I would be okay with that and no longer feel like my life is at risk. 

I learned that MSG is in our potato chips and many other foods we consume everyday. It could be the MSG in chips that make us have a craving for it (can't eat just one). 

So...it could be that all Americans have been eating MSG on a regular and daily basis (if they eat potato chips etc.) 

eugenep

eugenep

I use MSG and water in place of stock sometimes when for example, a recipe says to do a 2-3 hour braise of offal in stock (to take out the gross gamey odor in offal) and then to throw away the stock. 

I would be wasting 2-3 liters of my hard to make stock if it weren't for MSG + water substitute. 

I grew up with the media bias against MSG when I was a kid so as an adult it's like I still have this childhood belief that's difficult to change. 

But based on new information about MSG, when I go to an Asian restaurant and if they use MSG, I would be okay with that and no longer feel like my life is at risk. 

I learned that MSG is in our potato chips and many other foods we consume everyday. I could be the MSG in chips that make us have a craving for it (can't eat just one). 

So...it could be that all Americans have been eating MSG on a regular and daily basis (if they eat potato chips etc.)