• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

afrank

afrank

21 minutes ago, KennethT said:

According to the MagicalButter machine site, they recommend decarboxylating in the oven prior to using the MB machine

Yeah, I'm currently focused on the decarbing phase. The MB machine is for infusing the butter. I've heard mixed reviews about it. My gut is telling me it's a $175 modified crock-pot. That said, there does exist a device designed specifically for decarboxylating called the Ardent Nova (around $200), which claims to be scientifically proven as the method that offers the best results — but here too, I have yet to be convinced based on the information I've gathered. Seems most likely to produce satisfactory results while riding on trend and marketing. I prefer to do my own testing : )

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The reason to go higher than 212F (and thus require a liquid other than water) is to shorten the time - lower and longer will accomplish the same

So that's the thing. From my research, there's this well known graph, which has been largely adopted (see below) which lead to the 40min/240F rule many go by, but lately I've also read that the graph is no accurate for reasons I'm not sure I know to explain. I just want to do my own testing and see how it works out for me : )

decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg

afrank

afrank

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

According to the MagicalButter machine site, they recommend decarboxylating in the oven prior to using the MB machine

Yeah, I'm currently focused on the decarbing phase. The MB machine is for infusing the butter. I've heard mixed reviews about it. My gut is telling me it's a $175 modified crock-pot. That said, there does exist a device designed specifically for decarboxylating called the Ardent Nova (around $200), which claims to be scientifically proven as the method that offers the best results — but here too, I have yet to be convinced based on the information I've gathered. Seems most likely to produce satisfactory results while riding on trend and marketing. I prefer to do my own testing : )

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

The reason to go higher than 212F (and thus require a liquid other than water) is to shorten the time - lower and longer will accomplish the same

So that's the thing. From my research, there's this well known graph, which many go by (see below), but lately I've also read that the graph is no accurate for reasons I'm not sure I know to explain. I just want to do my own testing and see how it works out for me : )

decarboxylation-graph-1-11.jpg