• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Beusho

Beusho

Just purchased a Matfer carbon steel skillet. I've run into a few problems with seasoning it. I followed the Matfer instruction to heat potato skins and salt first. My process was this:

1. Vigorous scrubbing with dish soap and pad to remove protective coating. Pan didn't look much different but I didn't take a photo.

2. Followed the matfer recommendation of potato skins, salt and I used flaxseed oil at med then high heat.

What resulted:

IMG_0136.thumb.jpg.597caa260bb3cf5a70918973a24a9a61.jpg

The center black part was completely non-stick, with a varying gradient of non-stick for the rest. I knew something was wrong so I decided to go to the oven non-stick route. I applied flaxseed oil and then rubbed it off with a paper towel. I put it in the oven at 450 for two hours and then let it cool in the oven for 6 hours. What resulted was a splotchy brown pan with a dark black spot. I now (after many videos and reading) realize the splotchy brown was what I should've been going for. I decided to try to vigorously wash it out with dish soap and hot water and salt a few time to try and remove all layers and then heat it to remove all water and then retry the oven seasoning. This is what resulted after washing and heating:

IMG_0153.thumb.jpg.929f6df118be2a629ab186393964240c.jpg

I have a few questions/observations:

1. I wouldn't do the matfer suggestion of heating on the stovetop. Maybe my stovetop is uneven (I did swirl the pan a few times, maybe not enough but the pan looked cover in oil to me).

2. I would do the oven seasoning, what I took to be splotchy brown is the correct seasoning after reading/watching a few videos, here is a screenshot of one oven seasoning which is what my pan looked like with a thick black spot in the center though.

2046280741_ScreenShot2019-01-13at11_15_01PM.thumb.png.8de8a2fda4adfa12dff1bf0bbaa052a1.png

My question:

What state is my pan in, what should my next step be?

Would you apply more oven seasoning until it's black? My black splotch felt completely non-stick.

Beusho

Beusho

Just purchased a Matfer carbon steel skillet. I've run into a few problems with seasoning it. I followed the Matfer instruction to heat potato skins and salt first. My process was this:

1. Vigorous scrubbing with dish soap and pad to remove protective coating. Pan didn't look much different but I didn't take a photo.

2. Followed the matfer recommendation of potato skins, salt and I used flaxseed oil at med then high heat.

What resulted:

The center black part was completely non-stick, with a varying gradient of non-stick for the rest. I knew something was wrong so I decided to go to the oven non-stick route. I applied flaxseed oil and then rubbed it off with a paper towel. I put it in the oven at 450 for two hours and then let it cool in the oven for 6 hours. What resulted was a splotchy brown pan with a dark black spot. I now realize the splotchy brown was what I should've been going for. I decided to try to wash it out with dish soap to try and remove all layers and then heat it to remove all water and then retry the oven seasoning. This is what resulted after washing and heating:

1. I wouldn't do the matfer suggestion of heating on the stovetop. Maybe my stovetop is uneven (I did swirl the pan a few times, maybe not enough).

2. I would do the oven seasoning, what I took to be splotchy brown is the correct seasoning after reading/watching a few videos, here is a screenshot of one oven seasoning which is what my pan looked like with a thick black spot in the center though.

2046280741_ScreenShot2019-01-13at11_15_01PM.thumb.png.8de8a2fda4adfa12dff1bf0bbaa052a1.png

My question:

Would you apply more oven seasoning until it's black? My black splotch felt completely non-stick.

Beusho

Beusho

What resulted:

The center black part was completely non-stick, with a varying gradient of non-stick for the rest. I knew something was wrong so I decided to go to the oven non-stick route. I applied flaxseed oil and then rubbed it off with a paper towel. I put it in the oven at 450 for two hours and then let it cool in the oven for 6 hours. What resulted was a splotchy brown pan with a dark black spot. I now realize the splotchy brown was what I should've been going for. I decided to try to wash it out with dish soap to try and remove all layers and then heat it to remove all water and then retry the oven seasoning. This is what resulted after washing and heating:

1. I wouldn't do the matfer suggestion of heating on the stovetop. Maybe my stovetop is uneven (I did swirl the pan a few times, maybe not enough).

My question:

Beusho

Beusho

What resulted:

My question:

Sorry the pictures are so big, I can't figure out how to decrease their size.