• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

tikidoc

tikidoc

This won't use up much chocolate, but I keep super ripe peeled bananas in the freezer specifically to make an "ice cream" that is simply banana. Put chunks of frozen bananas in a food processor and let it run. You may have to scrape it down occasionally. Let it run some more. After a few minutes it will get very pale in color and creamy, and with a texture much like soft serve. The mouthfeel is much like a dairy product. At this point, I sometimes add cocoa, chopped chocolate, or another fruit such as strawberry or peach, or some flaked coconut.

Also, a mix of melted chocolate and coconut oil makes for a great homemade ice cream shell topping.

tikidoc

tikidoc

This won't use up much chocolate, but I keep bananas in the freezer specifically to make an "ice cream" that is simply banana. Put chunks of frozen bananas in a food processor and let it run. You may have to scrape it down occasionally. Let it run some more. After a few minutes it will get very pale in color and creamy, and with a texture much like soft serve. The mouthfeel is much like a dairy product. At this point, I sometimes add cocoa, chopped chocolate, or another fruit such as strawberry or peach, or some flaked coconut.

Also, a mix of melted chocolate and coconut oil makes for a great homemade ice cream shell topping.