• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, chileheadmike said:

All of the convection ovens I've used would bake conventionally. 

Not my experience. My current kitchen has an electric convection oven with no options for the fan, other convection ovens have had the option of high or low fan.  Commercial baking ovens are different from the home ovens with the option of convection. 

Unfortunately I think you’ll just need to do some test baking to get used to your rental ovens. Start with just a few cookies till you’re happy, then do a full sheet and see if it needs adjusting. Mike is right in that no oven bakes perfectly evenly. Top rack may be hotter, or the back corner, etc. Always rotate!

Will you be able to get a better deal on space as you use more hours?  If you’re already worried about test batches eating up the profit, maybe you need to charge more. Or make a 5 oz cookie, that’s still huge!

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Not my experience. My current kitchen has an electric convection oven with no options for the fan, other convection ovens have had the option of high or low fan.  Commercial baking ovens are different from the home ovens with the option of convection. 

Unfortunately I think you’ll just need to do some test baking to get used to your rental ovens. Start with just a few cookies till you’re happy, then do a full sheet and see if it needs adjusting. 

Will you be able to get a better deal on space as you use more hours?  If you’re already worried about test batches eating up the profit, maybe you need to charge more. Or make a 5 oz cookie, that’s still huge!

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

Not my experience. My current kitchen has an electric convection oven with no options for the fan, other convection ovens have had the option of high or low fan, but commercial baking ovens are different from the home ovens with the option of convection. 

Unfortunately I think you’ll just need to do some test baking to get used to your rental ovens. Start with just a few cookies till you’re happy, then do a full sheet and see if it needs adjusting.