• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

shain

shain

From here we proceed to Stepantsminda. After a long day of driving and hiking,  it was getting late, and our bellies were rumbling went, therefore we headed straight for lunch.

A mushroom soup was more of a vegetable soup with mushrooms, it was flavorfull, spices with paprika. But the highlight was the dill - it was strong but had a delicate sweet flavor, it took the soup into another level. 

IMG_20180918_162629 (1).jpg

A beef soup was reported to me as being tasty but not very rich, it smelled of paprika, cilantro and caraway.

A serving of tonis bread was not fresh and lacked the crispness and tenderness I loved.

A Greek salad arrived due to a misunderstanding (most Georgians we met had hardship with English, and it being my second language didn't help either). It wasn't exactly a greek salad (where's the olive oil?). But the vegetables in Georgia are always very good, especially the peppers.

IMG_20180918_163500.jpg

A salad with walnut dressing was disappointing, as the scatter of (tasty) walnut powder failed to connect with the vegetables. Later renditions we will have will have this made into a real sauce with vinegar and tossed, which works much better.

2068881025_IMG_20180918_163954(1).thumb.jpg.fbbd5d0a669e72874b9c52bccc236b0e.jpg

The lobiani (which is not really a khachapuri, since it has no cheese) was delicious. The dough slightly acidic from yogurt, warm, flaky and tender. The filling of coarsely grinded beans tasty, flavored with bay and butter.

IMG_20180918_163503.jpg

The unpictured kebabs were served with fresh onion and were reported to me as being decent, flavored with garlic, cilantro, cumin and chili - much like kebabs one often finds in Israel. 

shain

shain

From here we proceed to Stepantsminda. After a long day of driving and hiking,  it was getting late, and our bellies were rumbling went, therefore we headed straight for lunch.

A mushroom soup was more of a vegetable soup with mushrooms, it was flavorfull, spices with paprika. But the highlight was the dill - it was strong but had a delicate sweet flavor, it took the soup into another level. 

A beef soup was reported to me as being tasty but not very rich, it smelled of paprika, cilantro and caraway.

A serving of tonis bread was not fresh and lacked the crispness and tenderness I loved.

A greek salad arrived due to a misunderstanding (most Georgians we met had hardship with English, and it being my second language didn't help either). It wasn't exactly a greek salad (where's the olive oil?). But the vegetables in Georgia are always very good, especially the peppers.

IMG_20180918_163500.jpg

A salad with walnuts dressing was disappointing, as the scatter of (tasty) walnut powder failed to connect with the vegetables. Later versions we will have will have this made into a real sauce with vinegar and tossed, which works much better.

2068881025_IMG_20180918_163954(1).thumb.jpg.fbbd5d0a669e72874b9c52bccc236b0e.jpg

The lobiani (which is not really a khachapuri, since it has no cheese) was delicious. The dough slightly acidic from yogurt, warm, flaky and tender. The filling of coarsely grinded beans tasty, flavored with bay and butter.

IMG_20180918_163503.jpg

The unpictured kebabs were served with fresh onion and were reported to me as being decent, flavored with garlic, cilantro, cumin and chili - much like kebabs one often finds in Israel. 

shain

shain

A greek salad arrived due to a misunderstanding (most Georgians we met had hardship with English, and it being my second language didn't help either). It was what you would expect. The vegetables in Georgia are very good, especially the peppers.

A salad with walnuts dressing was disappointing, as the scatter of (tasty) walnut powder failed to connect with the vegetables. Later versions we will have will have this made into a real sauce with vinegar and tossed, which works much better.

IMG_20180918_163500.jpg

IMG_20180918_163503.jpg

IMG_20180918_163954.jpg