• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

I don't have any of Alison Roman's books, but as @weinoo curmudgeonly notes, lots of her recipes are available in various places. I don't know for sure if her Lemony Turmeric Tea Cake is in one of her books but we baked it the other day and it is fantastic. Since my turmeric was old and probably less flavorful than it might have been, I couldn't really identify the taste of it, but it did make for a great color.(That's the color I want for my iPhone case.) It's more of a quick bread than a cake, baked in a loaf pan. Really really good. Not totally sold on the lemon slices over the top. I think you could use Meyer lemons for the top and caramelize them before adding and baking. They were not terribly edible as instructed.

And thanks so much for the beauty secrets link. I'm going to get the Boy Brow right away!  I come from a long line of women with insufficient eye brows. The day before my mother died, she requested from her hospital bed that I go back to her apartment to get her eyebrow pencil. She looked good when she expired at 94 years old. 

I don't have any of Alison Roman's books, but as @weinoo curmudgeonly notes, lots of her recipes are available in various places. I don't know for sure if her Lemony Turmeric Tea Cake is in one of her books but we baked it the ) day and it is fantastic. Since my turmeric was old and probably less flavorful than it might have been, I couldn't really identify the taste of it, but it did make for a great color.(That's the color I want for my iPhone case.) It's more of a quick bread than a cake, baked in a loaf pan. Really really good. Not totally sold on the lemon slices over the top. I think you could use Meyer lemons for the top and caramelize them before adding and baking. They were not terribly edible as instructed.

And thanks so much for the beauty secrets link. I'm going to get the Boy Brow right away!  I come from a long line of women with insufficient eye brows. The day before my mother died, she requested from her hospital bed that I go back to her apartment to get her eyebrow pencil. She looked good when she expired at 94 years old.