• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

On 12/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, iPat said:

I've done slow cooking in a dutch oven with limited success.

With the slow cooker, the heat comes from the side of the pot (cooking vessel) so the content is heated quite thoroughly.

With the Control Freak, the heat only comes from the bottom, and the top portion of the food stays under-cooked (tough).

It will work out a lot better if you use a braiser instead of the dutch oven.

Must depend on what you’re cooking? Most of the things I slow cook are submerged in a liquid. I have a stew going right now on the CF and the liquid matches the pan temp exactly. Any parts sticking out are in a steam environment heating it up. Once it starts to thicken up, maybe I’ll run into problems?

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

On 12/12/2018 at 9:59 AM, iPat said:

I've done slow cooking in a dutch oven with limited success.

With the slow cooker, the heat comes from the side of the pot (cooking vessel) so the content is heated quite thoroughly.

With the Control Freak, the heat only comes from the bottom, and the top portion of the food stays under-cooked (tough).

It will work out a lot better if you use a braiser instead of the dutch oven.

Must depend on what you’re cooking? Most of the things I slow cook are submerged in a liquid. I have a stew going right now on the CF and the liquid matches the pan temp exactly. Once it starts to thicken up, maybe I’ll rub into problems?