• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Made Heston Blumenthal’s chocolate melting cake yesterday, making the ganache on the Control Freak. Took a couple out of the freezer after lunch today and they baked almost perfectly. Still a bit cold in the center—nothing a couple extra minutes in the oven won’t fix next time. 

Also did Eggs Benedict again this morning. One control freak for the hollandaise another to keep the bacon and smoked meat warm. And I used the Tasty One Top for poached eggs. Probably easier to just get away with using the two control freaks and the normal stove top. Not convinced the preciseness of the One Top/Control Freak improves poached eggs that much (gotta compromise somewhere— and I really don’t like using the One Top even though the probe works adequately — hate having to use an app - I need my buttons and knobs 😛 Pan Control on the One Top is also crap. I need excuses to get rid of it, not keep it. )

I halved the hollandaise sauce recipe again, but this time put it in a 2 quart pan. Still found the sauce to be too shallow for an accurate probe reading (it was getting the temp from the bottom of the pan. Wasn’t confident the sauce was being kept at a temp to ward off salmonella, but it was used quickly enough. Either I need to use the original quantities or find a pan with a smaller diameter (I’ve always had my eye on the 0.5 quart All Clad butter warmer — wonder if it’s large enough for the Control Freak to detect?)

780BB1F4-B1C9-42B7-BB73-7A305294A7F1.jpeg

BC8B3F03-F639-4E4C-98A9-7F989B61DC17.jpeg

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Made Heston Blumenthal’s chocolate melting cake yesterday, making the ganache on the Control Freak. Took a couple out of the freezer after lunch today and they baked almost perfectly. Still a bit cold in the center—nothing a couple extra minutes in the oven won’t fix next time. 

Also did Eggs Benedict again this morning. One control freak for the hollandaise another to keep the bacon and smoked meat warm. And I used the Tasty One Top for poached eggs. Probably easier to just get away with using the two control freaks and the normal stove top. Not convinced the preciseness of the Control Freak improves poached eggs that much (although it was nice to be able to reheat them easily)

I halved the hollandaise sauce recipe again, but this time put it in a 2 quart pan. Still found the sauce to be too shallow for an accurate probe reading (it was getting the temp from the bottom of the pan. Wasn’t confident the sauce was being kept at a temp to ward off salmonella, but it was used quickly enough. Either I need to use the original quantities or find a pan with a smaller diameter (I’ve always had my eye on the 0.5 quart All Clad butter warmer — wonder if it’s large enough for the Control Freak to detect?)

780BB1F4-B1C9-42B7-BB73-7A305294A7F1.jpeg

BC8B3F03-F639-4E4C-98A9-7F989B61DC17.jpeg