• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Yes, he told me the same thing. I don’t use medium very often. I either use fast or slow. Slow for things I don’t want any temperature overshoot and fast for an empty pan in preheating for searing (overshoot depends on the pan but it’s never more than 30 or so degrees so I can wait for it to come down). Sometimes I’ll start on fast and then bring it down to slow once it gets closer to the target temp.  Medium should be okay, just might take longer to get to temp and recover temp. 

I once deep fried and had it on slow by accident. It didn’t recover fast enough. I can test out medium a bit more.... I think Rob is using the adapter, so you can ask him about his experience. 

I think the only reason you can’t use fast is because the adapter draws a little extra power. As far as I understand, the outlets for 20 amp connections can be installed on a 15amp circuit. The change in plug shape just signifies to the user that there’s a different circuit. Since the appliance only draws 1800 watts Max, you should be able to just plug it in a 20amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit and have no problems on high as long as you don’t have faulty breakers or bad wires (and nothing else is plugged into the circuit)

CanadianHomeChef

CanadianHomeChef

Yes, he told me the same thing. I don’t use medium very often. I either use fast or slow. Slow for things I don’t want any temperature overshoot and fast for an empty pan in preheating for searing (overshoot depends on the pan but it’s never more than 30 or so degrees so I can wait for it to come down). Sometimes I’ll start on fast and then bring it down to slow once it gets closer to the target temp.  Medium should be okay, just might take longer to get to temp and recover temp. 

I once deep fried and had it on slow. It didn’t recover fast enough. I can test out medium a bit more.... I think Rob is using the adapter, so you can ask him about his experience. 

I think the only reason you can’t use fast is because the adapter draws a little extra power. As far as I understand, the outlets for 20 amp connections can be installed on a 15amp circuit. The change in plug shape just signifies to the user that there’s a different circuit. Since the appliance only draws 1800 watts Max, you should be able to just plug it in a 20amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit and have no problems on high as long as you don’t have faulty breakers or bad wires (and nothing else is plugged into the circuit)