• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TicTac

TicTac

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a couple Kumatos in my bedroom at the moment. They are usually OK.  I may have them for dinner.  I only recall one container of Kumatos that didn't have much flavor.

But I'm with you.  For supermarket tomatoes my favorite are Campari.  I just read on Wikipedia that Campari is a trademark in the US and "can be produced from different varieties, such as Mountain Magic."  Strange coincidence -- Mountain Magic is what I've been growing on my balcony the past several years.  I am in the wrong business.  Mountain Magic seeds sell for $150,000 per pound.

Your figures seem off, otherwise I am sure many would flock down that path as well...

Here one can purchase 5,000 of said seeds for $830

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/tomatoes/cocktail-tomatoes/mountain-magic-f1-tomato-seed-2513.html

Google suggest that there are roughly 120,000 - 190,000 cherry tomato seeds per pound.

Which puts it roughly at $25-30K/lb

Still a nice chunk of change!

If you want an amazingly sweet and fairly low acid cherry, check out 'Sweet Orange Cherry tomatos' - I grow them every year and they are the nearest thing to candy grown on a vine.

TicTac

TicTac

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a couple Kumatos in my bedroom at the moment. They are usually OK.  I may have them for dinner.  I only recall one container of Kumatos that didn't have much flavor.

But I'm with you.  For supermarket tomatoes my favorite are Campari.  I just read on Wikipedia that Campari is a trademark in the US and "can be produced from different varieties, such as Mountain Magic."  Strange coincidence -- Mountain Magic is what I've been growing on my balcony the past several years.  I am in the wrong business.  Mountain Magic seeds sell for $150,000 per pound.

Your figures seem off, otherwise I am sure many would flock down that path as well...

Here one can purchase 5,000 of said seeds for $830

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/tomatoes/cocktail-tomatoes/mountain-magic-f1-tomato-seed-2513.html

Google suggest that there are roughly 120,000 - 190,000 cherry tomato seeds per pound.

Which puts it roughly at $25-30K/lb

Still a nice chunk of change, but I would not want to fathom how many hectares of tomatos one would require to produce that volume!

If you want an amazingly sweet and fairly low acid cherry, check out 'Sweet Orange Cherry tomatos' - I grow them every year and they are the nearest thing to candy grown on a vine.