• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

You ain't alone. My scheduling runs along the lines of:

Sunday through Wednesday: consider possible dishes for Saturday's party. 

Thursday: buy everything needed for almost all the dishes in question. Forget one or two critical items.

Friday: start cleaning the house. Realize that I've forgotten some items on the shopping list. If something needs to be made in advance - for instance, a blind-baked pie shell, or beans cooked to make a spread - do that.

Saturday: decide what to make, based on which dish(es) come closest to having the full complement of ingredients. Realize I don't have enough time to make everything I'd intended, and cut down on the menu. Start tearing around the house pulling things together. Dither over which dishes, table cloth, etc and have those ready for the guests to lay out when they come!

Oh well, we have a good time, and nobody goes away hungry. The following week, I make the dishes I didn't cook for the dinner, in an attempt to use the surplus items I'd bought at the grocery store.

See, that's why I have just banned people from my house.  It's less stressful that way. :laugh:

Shelby

Shelby

5 minutes ago, Smithy said:

You ain't alone. My scheduling runs along the lines of:

Sunday through Wednesday: consider possible dishes for Saturday's party. 

Thursday: buy everything needed for almost all the dishes in question. Forget one or two critical items.

Friday: start cleaning the house. Realize that I've forgotten some items on the shopping list. If something needs to be made in advance - for instance, a blind-baked pie shell, or beans cooked to make a spread - do that.

Saturday: decide what to make, based on which dish(es) come closest to having the full complement of ingredients. Realize I don't have enough time to make everything I'd intended, and cut down on the menu. Start tearing around the house pulling things together. Dither over which dishes, table cloth, etc and have those ready for the guests to lay out when they come!

Oh well, we have a good time, and nobody goes away hungry. The following week, I make the dishes I didn't cook for the dinner, in an attempt to use the surplus items I'd bought at the grocery store.

See, that's why I have just banned people from my house.