• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

As it happened, today we went to the Ottawa Farmer's market and someone had a stall selling bread and various yeast based pastries.  And guess what - one of the items was a Scottish buttery.  Pictures below.  The last picture is a close-up of it as it sits on my counter.  They are very light.  This fellow says he used 4 parts butter to 1 of lard.  The only reason he uses lard is for flakiness.  He says back in Scotland they sell for 25 cents.  We also bought a cinnamon bun and a kouign aman.  Next time I plan on buying one of each of his buns, except for marzipan.  Much as I like almonds, marzipan is nasty.  

20180617_114636.jpg

20180617_114341_resized.jpg

20180617_153601.jpg

ElsieD

ElsieD

As it happened, today we went to the Ottawa Farmer's market and someone had a stall selling bread and various yeast based pastries.  And guess what - one of the items was a Scottish buttery.  Pictures below.  The last picture is a close-up of it as it sits on my counter.  They are very light.  This fellow says he used 4 parts butter to 1 of lard.  The only reason he uses lard is for flakiness.  He says back in Scotland they sell for 25 cents.

20180617_114636.jpg

20180617_114341_resized.jpg

20180617_153601.jpg