• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

Hi all,

I have a mini tagine pot for one person that I'm really enjoying using. 

But I'm finding that the liquid and the spices don't seem to congeal into a sauce while cooking. At the end I'm left with a very watery liquid in the tagine which has a gritty taste, as if the spices haven't dissolved properly. 

This is the recipe i used today (reduced to just one chicken leg) that I got from youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpsUQ7SbTXs):

1.5 kg chicken (cut into pieces or just thighs)
Ingredients for Chicken Marinade:
Saffron water: A large pinch of saffron + 1 cup of warm water. You can store up to 1 month in the fridge.
We will use 1 teaspoon of saffron water.
The pulp of 1 large preserved lemon (or 2 small ones)
A handful of fresh cilantro and parsley
2 large garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ground paprika
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients for the tagine:
2 onions (grated)
2 tablespoon olive oil
Pinch of salt and ground turmeric
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Handful of green olives
The skin of 1 preserve lemon (cut into quarters)

I marinated the chicken over night. Then I added a bed of onions with olive oil and turmeric into the tagine pot, then the chicken and all the marinade. I cooked it for over one hour. At the end the recipe said to cook it with the lid off for twenty minutes until the sauce thickens, but after thirty minutes it was still watery. 

Does anyone have any advice? Many thanks

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

Hi all,

But I'm finding that the liquid and the spices don't seem to congeal into a sauce while cooking. At the end I'm left with a very watery liquid in the tagine which has a gritty taste, as if the spices haven't dissolved properly. 

This is the recipe i used today (reduced to just one chicken leg) that I got from youtube (let me know if you want the link):

Saffron water: A large pinch of saffron + 1 cup of warm water. You can store up to 1 month in the fridge.
2 large garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 onions (grated)
2 tablespoon olive oil
Handful of green olives

I marinated the chicken over night. Then I added a bed of onions with olive oil and turmeric into the tagine pot, then the chicken and all the marinade. I cooked it for over one hour. At the end the recipe said to cook it with the lid off for twenty minutes until the sauce thickens, but after thirty minutes it was still watery. 

oofencocotte

oofencocotte

Hi all,

This is the recipe i used today (reduced to just one chicken leg) that I got from youtube (let me know if you want the link):

2 large garlic cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 onions (grated)
2 tablespoon olive oil
Handful of green olives

I marinated the chicken over night. Then I added a bed of onions with olive oil and turmeric into the tagine pot, then the chicken and all the marinade. I cooked it for over one hour. At the end the recipe said to cook it with the lid off for twenty minutes until the sauce thickens, but after thirty minutes is was still watery.