• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

@Dave the Cook

Perhaps then you could answer a question that has me quite perplexed. I am not a fan of lentils and have probably only cooked them once or twice in my life.  This book suggests that dried lentils can be cooked on the stove top in 3 to 5 minutes?  No mention of pre-soaking.  Doesn’t seem to matter what kind of lentils are being used.  Was there something more magical in the 80s that could accomplish this?  I am of course assuming you still have the cookbook and I’m guessing I’m wrong on that score having reread your post. Perhaps someone else will clue me in though. 

This refers to red lentils:

“SALAD

Wash lentils. Cook them in boiling water for 5–6 minutes or until just tender. (Test after 2 minutes.)”

This from a recipe that just calls for dried lentils without specifying anything further:

“Cook the lentils for 2–3 minutes or until tender in boiling salted water. Drain well and cool.”

When I consult various sources about cooking lentils they certainly call for much longer times. 

Thanks. 

Oops.  Yes you do have the book!  

Anna N

Anna N

@Dave the Cook

Perhaps then you could answer a question that has me quite perplexed. I am not a fan of lentils and have probably only cooked them once or twice in my life.  This book suggests that dried lentils can be cooked on the stove top in 3 to 5 minutes?  No mention of pre-soaking.  Doesn’t seem to matter what kind of lentils are being used.  Was there something more magical in the 80s that could accomplish this?  I am of course assuming you still have the cookbook and I’m guessing I’m wrong on that score having reread your post. Perhaps someone else will clue me in though. 

This refers to red lentils:

“SALAD

Wash lentils. Cook them in boiling water for 5–6 minutes or until just tender. (Test after 2 minutes.)”

This from a recipe that just calls for dried lentils without specifying anything further:

“Cook the lentils for 2–3 minutes or until tender in boiling salted water. Drain well and cool.”

When I consult various sources about cooking lentils they certainly call for much longer times. 

Thanks.