• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

On 8/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, Jim D. said:

I have performed the experiment once more and am getting what one might call a "consistent inconsistency."  I made Wybauw's pear recipe (Fine Chocolates Gold, p. 309).  The Aw reading immediately after the ganache was piped was 0.78.  Approximately three hours later, the same sample produced a reading of 0.64.  For someone who is quite cautious about shelf life issues, these readings are very good news.

Wybauw has that recipe listed at 0.84 Aw. Are you doing anything differently that you can tell?

Alternatively, have you ever cross referenced a result from your meter with a lab to check for calibration?

wannabechocolatier

wannabechocolatier

On 8/2/2021 at 1:21 PM, Jim D. said:

I have performed the experiment once more and am getting what one might call a "consistent inconsistency."  I made Wybauw's pear recipe (Fine Chocolates Gold, p. 309).  The Aw reading immediately after the ganache was piped was 0.78.  Approximately three hours later, the same sample produced a reading of 0.64.  For someone who is quite cautious about shelf life issues, these readings are very good news.

Wybauw has that recipe listed at 0.84 Aw. Are you doing anything differently that you can tell?

Alternatively, have you ever cross referenced a result of your meter with a lab to check for calibration?