• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

59 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not sure - I know the ingredient part does include pH for purées etc. I can see if I do water vs lemon juice and see if the Aw changes.

I’m uncertain about those cheap meters - someone needs to buy one and have it delivered to me and I’ll run it against my pAwkit and see how it compares - send back if crap - forward on if not.

Sounds like an interesting experiment. I know that if the pH is low then you can have a higher AW without it affecting the shelf life as much but i'm not exactly sure what the ranges for these things are.

I came across a paper that estimates the AW by using a formula using brix and pH measurements. I imagine pro-choc probably uses something like that. 

I'm going to buy one of those cheapo water activity meters so it would be great to see how they compare to the pAwkit ones. They still work out cheaper than a pro-choc subscription, so worth a try i guess.

I live in the UK though, so not sure if there would be some weird Tax rules/rates if I send it Canada and then you send it to me?

DomDeFranco

DomDeFranco

45 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not sure - I know the ingredient part does include pH for purées etc. I can see if I do water vs lemon juice and see if the Aw changes.

I’m uncertain about those cheap meters - someone needs to buy one and have it delivered to me and I’ll run it against my pAwkit and see how it compares - send back if crap - forward on if not.

Sounds like an interesting experiment. I know that if the pH is low then you can have a higher AW without it affecting the shelf life as much but i'm not exactly sure what the ranges for these things are.

I came across a paper that estimates the AW by using a formula using brix and pH measurements. I imagine pro-choc probably uses something like that. 

I'm going to buy one of those cheapo water activity measurements so it would be great to see how they compare to the pAwkit ones. They still work out cheaper than a pro-choc subscription, so worth a try i guess.

I live in the UK though, so not sure if there would be some weird Tax rules/rates if I send it Canada and then you send it to me?