• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gfweb

gfweb

You need an emulsifier to keep the pesto together if there's an aqueous phase (from your post I'm not sure there is ) There's lists of food grade emulsifiers that sound like chemicals, but are just derivatives of fat. 

I believe more food sounding things  like tartaric acid or phospholipids e.g. Lecithin will do it too. 

Not sure if xanthan works in a purely oil liquid. 

gfweb

gfweb

You need an emulsifier to keep the pesto together. There's lists of food grade emulsifiers that sound like chemicals, but are just derivatives of fat. 

I believe more food sounding things  like tartaric acid or phospholipids e.g. Lecithin will do it too. 

gfweb

gfweb

You need an emulsifier to keep the pesto together. There's lists of food grade emulsifiers that sound like chemicals, but are just derivatives of fat. 

I believe more food sounding things  like phospholipids and tartaric acid will do it too.