• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

gulfporter

gulfporter

I am as lapsed a Catholic as you'll ever meet.  But I forego meat on Fridays during Lent.  Old habits die hard.  I don't otherwise fast during Lent but my brother, another lapsed Catholic, still does (he's giving up beer this year).  

During Lent (Cuaresma) here in Mexico, many local women sell capriotada on Fridays.  They just put a handwritten sign on their doors late in the week announcing the sale.  Capriotada is a bread pudding, that contains both sweet and savory elements.  It has the requisite bread, cinnamon, cloves, raisins and sugar (very sweet piloncillo, an unrefined cane sugar sold in cylindrical shapes).  Instead of eggs and milk as a binder, only water is added.  There is always a ton of cheese in it which becomes the binder.  Many senoras add tomato and onion; it varies household to household.  Nuts are sometimes found in it, too.  

While I buy a piece every Friday on our walk home from dinner, I have not acquired an appreciation of it.  

gulfporter

gulfporter

I am as lapsed a Catholic as you'll ever meet.  But I forego meat on Fridays during Lent.  Old habits die hard.  I don't otherwise fast during Lent but my brother, another lapsed Catholic, still does (he's giving up beer this year).  

During Lent (Cuaresma) here in Mexico, many local women sell capriotada on Fridays.  They just put a handwritten sign on their doors late in the week announcing the sale.  Capriotada is a bread pudding, that contains both sweet and savory elements.  It has the requisite bread, cinnamon, cloves, raisins and sugar (very sweet piloncillo, an unrefined cane sugar sold in cylindrical shapes).  Instead of eggs and milk as a binder, only water is added.  There is always a ton of cheese in it which becomes the binder.  Some senoras make it with tomato and onion; it varies household to household.  Nuts are sometimes found in it, too.  

While I buy a piece every Friday on our walk home from dinner, I have not acquired an appreciation of it.