• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

btbyrd

btbyrd

On 2/19/2018 at 2:42 PM, rich66 said:

Oddly, I tend to favour an old Sabatier knife over my Globals because I think it takes a better edge...

The steel Global uses is kind of blah. It's durable and plenty stain/rust resistant, but it's on the softer side and is no fun to sharpen. There are other stainless and semi-stainless alloys on the market now that are much better. They're still good knives, but their desirability isn't what it was 15 or 20 years ago when Japanese kitchen knives first broke onto the global market.

btbyrd

btbyrd

4 hours ago, rich66 said:

It would be great to find somewhere to get hands on with some 'real' Japanese knives...

Here you go.

4 hours ago, rich66 said:

Oddly, I tend to favour an old Sabatier knife over my Globals because I think it takes a better edge...

The steel Global uses is kind of blah. It's durable and plenty stain/rust resistant, but it's on the softer side and is no fun to sharpen. There are other stainless and semi-stainless alloys on the market now that are much better. They're still good knives, but their desirability isn't what it was 15 or 20 years ago when Japanese kitchen knives first broke onto the global market.