• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

How do you use that much OO.?  I'm not a fan of evoo, but even if I were I don't know where I'd use 3 liters in a decent period. Do you fry in it?

I don't true-fry, but I sautee in it regularly.  It's the oil I would use to slick up veggies for roasting.  I will use that mild oil for dressing if the other flavors in the dressing are going to be extremely prominent.  I don't think one needs extra-virgin for these purposes, but I liked the mild taste of the Fairway one (until recently), and it was available in bulk.

For real frying, I use mass produced corn oil or lard.  I read somewhere on eG that this was akin to an old-wives-tale, but I'd thought olive oils wouldn't take the extended heat of frying.  Not that I'd want the taste of it in my fried foods.

It's true, though; I do use a lot of oil, all the oils.  I'm kind of a high-fat eater, honestly.  

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  I was feeling kind of crazed with the thought of having to taste my way back to an old-standby.  

SLB

SLB

10 hours ago, gfweb said:

How do you use that much OO.?  I'm not a fan of evoo, but even if I were I don't know where I'd use 3 liters in a decent period. Do you fry in it?

I don't true-fry, but I sautee in it regularly.  It's the oil I would use to slick up veggies for roasting.  I will use that mild oil for dressing if the other flavors in the dressing are going to be extremely prominent.  

For real frying, I use mass produced corn oil or lard.

It's true, though; I do use a lot of oil, all the oils.  I'm kind of a high-fat eater, honestly.  

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions.  I was feeling kind of crazed with the thought of having to taste my way back to an old-standby.