• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Smithy

Smithy

Corrected brand name (Rival, not Royal)

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

My mom used to have a Black & Decker food processor from back in the early days of food processors. A too-cold block of cheddar cheese being shoved down the feed chute promptly broke the center spindle that rotated the grating blade.

Bye-Bye Black & Decker. ¬¬

That happened to me with a Rival food processor I'd bought, for the princely sum of $40, when I could ill afford it.  (Maybe I used birthday money for it.  It was still a major splurge.) In my case it was parmesan cheese that was too hard for the spindle.  By that time the processor was old enough that the company was out of business and no replacement parts could be had.  I'd gotten my use out of the processor, but I've been much more careful of my Cuisinart to avoid repeating that mistake.

Smithy

Smithy

42 minutes ago, Toliver said:

My mom used to have a Black & Decker food processor from back in the early days of food processors. A too-cold block of cheddar cheese being shoved down the feed chute promptly broke the center spindle that rotated the grating blade.

Bye-Bye Black & Decker. ¬¬

That happened to me with a Royal food processor I'd bought, for the princely sum of $40, when I could ill afford it.  (Maybe I used birthday money for it.  It was still a major splurge.) In my case it was parmesan cheese that was too hard for the spindle.  By that time the processor was old enough that the company was out of business and no replacement parts could be had.  I'd gotten my use out of the processor, but I've been much more careful of my Cuisinart to avoid repeating that mistake.