• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

patris

patris

Info on capacity

First big batch of bowls out of the glaze kiln today!

9E81E367-F61B-456C-9472-F68BE3E3BC53.thumb.jpeg.c3ce70e690a091e59dcee3c153070279.jpeg

Our glazes are mixed in-house, not purchased in liquid form, so there is always some variation, but some of the results on these are really striking. In particular the Castile blue and Hyacinth bowls, at the left of the photo, came out just beautiful, with a deeper color on the inside of the bowls and  much lighter color on the outside - even some cool streaking and variations in the finish in certain areas, especially on the two Castile blue bowls. 

The remainder of the bowls (17 in total!) came out of the bisque kiln this morning; I glazed them all and they’ll go in the next glaze firing. There are a couple more Castile bowls in that group - it has been mixed a little differently since the last firing so I can’t wait to see how they come out.

As they are fired, I am checking each one by filling them with water to measure capacity and they consistently hold 650 grams with about a half to three quarters of an inch of room at the top.

This is my first experience doing anything on this scale and I am learning so much - thanks to everyone for your interest. It is giving me a wonderful perspective on my own work going forward!

patris

patris

First big batch of bowls out of the glaze kiln today!

9E81E367-F61B-456C-9472-F68BE3E3BC53.thumb.jpeg.c3ce70e690a091e59dcee3c153070279.jpeg

Our glazes are mixed in-house, not purchased in liquid form, so there is always some variation, but some of the results on these are really striking. In particular the Castile blue and Hyacinth bowls, at the left of the photo, came out just beautiful, with a deeper color on the inside of the bowls and  much lighter color on the outside - even some cool streaking and variations in the finish in certain areas, especially on the two Castile blue bowls. 

The remainder of the bowls (17 in total!) came out of the bisque kiln this morning; I glazed them all and they’ll go in the next glaze firing. There are a couple more Castile bowls in that group - it has been mixed a little differently since the last firing so I can’t wait to see how they come out.

This is my first experience doing anything on this scale and I am learning so much - thanks to everyone for your interest. It is giving me a wonderful perspective on my own work going forward!