• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

9 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks for the encouragement!

Growing up, my father worked in the commercial side of botany. I recall visiting some of the first cloned plants in 1972. I was being fairly broad in my statements above. I wouldn't just start watering some seeds, I'd try to do all sorts of examinations (well get labs to do it for me) for a long time first. I am hoping for some DNA clues. And, like they said in the article, this plant may have been a hybrid. -If this is so, we can attempt creating some the old fashioned way, or perhaps be able to clove it by inserting genetic material into some living plant cells where the nucleus has been removed or altered. I'm not really up to date on cutting-edge lab work.

I guess I should start researching various labs to see who out there has the capability (and desire) to run some sophisticated tests on ancient plant matter.

I remember reading about this ancient tree a couple of years ago and wondered if there are others tucked away in odd places.  A friend who had spent time mapping some of the Roman catacombs had mentioned that there are still vast areas around the city that have never been explored.

When she was active there in the late '80s, they found sealed funerary vessels at altars that contained all kinds of "gifts" for the dead, including plant materials, grains, etc.

These might hold viable seeds or other plant remnants.

And this reminds me of my fascination back then with learning what happened to Smallage, which at one time was grown in every kitchen garden and was more used than celery until the early 19th century.  In the '80s I could find no seed companies selling it.  I wrote a letter to one of the herb magazines and subsequently someone wrote an article about it.  Then one of the more obscure seed companies, specializing in herbs, began offering the seeds.  Apparently it caught on because now several seed companies are offering it.

It has a more pronounced flavor than either celery or lovage and has to be finely chopped or ground to use in cooked dishes or salads but at least it is available.  

And, oddly enough, it turns out that it is actually the plant grown commercially as "field celery" from which "celery seed" is harvested.  It was there all along, just not identified as the ancient herb.  The celery seed sold as an herb or spice, will not sprout, I think they are treated to retard germination. 

andiesenji

andiesenji

8 hours ago, Lisa Shock said:

Thanks for the encouragement!

Growing up, my father worked in the commercial side of botany. I recall visiting some of the first cloned plants in 1972. I was being fairly broad in my statements above. I wouldn't just start watering some seeds, I'd try to do all sorts of examinations (well get labs to do it for me) for a long time first. I am hoping for some DNA clues. And, like they said in the article, this plant may have been a hybrid. -If this is so, we can attempt creating some the old fashioned way, or perhaps be able to clove it by inserting genetic material into some living plant cells where the nucleus has been removed or altered. I'm not really up to date on cutting-edge lab work.

I guess I should start researching various labs to see who out there has the capability (and desire) to run some sophisticated tests on ancient plant matter.

I remember reading about this ancient tree a couple of years ago and wondered if there are others tucked away in odd places.  A friend who had spent time mapping some of the Roman catacombs had mentioned that there are still vast areas around the city that have never been explored.

When she was active there in the late '80s, they found sealed funerary vessels at altars that contained all kinds of "gifts" for the dead, including plant materials, grains, etc.

These might hold viable seeds or other plant remnants.

And this reminds me of my fascination back then with learning what happened to Smallage, which at one time was grown in every kitchen garden and was more used than celery until the early 19th century.  In the '80s I could find no seed companies selling it.  I wrote a letter to one of the herb magazines and subsequently someone wrote an article about it.  Then one of the more obscure seed companies, specializing in herbs, began offering the seeds.  Apparently it caught on because now several seed companies are offering it.

It has a more pronounced flavor than either celery or lovage and has to be finely chopped or ground to use in cooked dishes or salads but at least it is available.  

And, oddly enough, it turns out that it is actually the plant grown commercially as "field celery" from which "celery seed" is harvested.  It was there all along, just not identified as the ancient herb.