• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

@DiggingDogFarm

I'm back home and did, as expected, meet some Vietnamese people on my short trip down to the China-Vietnam border area. I remained on the Chinese side this time.

Unfortunately, and I should have thought of this earlier, the people I met were all from North Vietnam, particularly Hanoi. I'm taking a wild guess that your friend Bill wasn't stationed in North Vietnam!

Anyway, I asked and, after a few blank looks, they concluded that 'red chicken'  is probably some kind of variation on Chinese red-cooking (红烧 hóng shāo) as I mentioned, but they weren't 100%  sure.

As you suggested it may be a different, regional dish which they don't know. Do you know where he was stationed?

In the meantime. I'm sorry I haven't been able to help much, but I will keep accosting passing Vietnamese and demand a sensible explanation!

liuzhou

liuzhou

@DiggingDogFarm

I'm back home and did, as expected, meet some Vietnamese people on my short trip down to the China-Vietnam border area. I remained on the Chinese side this time.

Unfortunately, and I should have thought of this earlier, the people I met were all from North Vietnam, particularly Hanoi. I'm taking a wild guess that your friend Bill wasn't stationed in North Vietnam!

Anyway, I asked and, after a few blank looks, they concluded that 'red chicken'  is probably some kind of variation on Chinese red-cooking (红烧 hóng shāo) as I mentioned, but weren't 100%  sure.

As you suggested it may be a different, regional dish which they don't know. Do you know where he was stationed?

In the meantime. I'm sorry I haven't been able to help much, but I will keep accosting passing Vietnamese and demand a sensible explanation!