• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Duvel

Duvel

Spelling

11 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your fantastic travels and delights with us. 

Curious, were there many bones in the eel (hard to tell from the photo).  I love eel, but after an incident as a child with a fish bone caught in my throat and a trip to the ER, those little elusive calcium needles have always frightened me!

No bones whatsoever, just the fillet. The Japanese conger eel Anago (actually a different species) has plenty of bones, but even for that little critter the chef usually takes the time to remove them. You could call it a labour of love, but then again you would not have seen how they gut and skin them :$

Duvel

Duvel

Just now, TicTac said:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your fantastic travels and delights with us. 

Curious, were there many bones in the eel (hard to tell from the photo).  I love eel, but after an incident as a child with a fish bone caught in my throat and a trip to the ER, those little elusive calcium needles have always frightened me!

No bones whatsoever, just the fillet. The Japanese conger eel Anago (actually a different species) has plenty of bones, but even for that little critter the chef usually takes the time of them. You could call it a labour of love, but then again you would not have seen how the gut and skin them :$