• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

BonVivant

BonVivant

3 hours ago, barolo said:

What is Mangalica? I saw Mangalica Pate and Mangalica liver and bacon on the menu at the Globe. 

(Apologies to Duvel for high-jacking this thread for a moment)

A breed of pigs indigenous to Hungary. There's not enough of it to go around in Hungary where it's a delicacy. I only trust real Magalitsa from the butchers and reputable restaurants there.

Certified resellers have these signs:

mtpS4tV.jpg

ssbIhZu.jpg

All have Mangalitsa in them. There's a strict guide line how much Mangalitsa in a product to be called such.

p0nCkm1.jpg

rAZaAH5.jpg

The ham is extremely elusive but I found it. Even Hungarians asked me where!

LTNLa65.jpg

3Lk4wzH.jpg

nRUS9jD.jpg

They are bred mainly for this:

1BCmtxx.jpg

I have the big chunk (top left) to finish before my next holiday, have been frying everything in it these days.

4MmbCrq.jpg

CHsnfWm.jpg

BonVivant

BonVivant

2 hours ago, barolo said:

What is Mangalica? I saw Mangalica Pate and Mangalica liver and bacon on the menu at the Globe. 

(Apologies to Duvel for high-jacking this thread for a moment)

A breed of pigs indigenous to Hungary. There's not enough of it to go around in Hungary where it's a delicacy. I only trust real Magalitsa from the butchers and reputable restaurants there.

Certified resellers have these signs:

mtpS4tV.jpg

ssbIhZu.jpg

All have Mangalitsa.

p0nCkm1.jpg

rAZaAH5.jpg

3Lk4wzH.jpg

nRUS9jD.jpg

They are bred mainly for this:

1BCmtxx.jpg

I have the big chunk (top left) to finish before my next holiday, have been frying everything in it these days.

4MmbCrq.jpg

CHsnfWm.jpg