• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Fernwood

Fernwood

Improved identification, streamlined punctuation

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

I regularly grate 2 lb blocks of sharp cheddar divided into 8 oz portions. They go into quart Ziplocs and get frozen. We pull them out one at a time to keep in the fridge. We've been doing this for years. There are four adults in our household at the moment but even when it was just my DW and myself we went through the cheese fast enough for mold to never be a problem. Right now we're also grating 2 lb blocks of Monterey Jack. All of this grating is done using a food processor. I do have one timing requirement for when to grate. I want an empty dishwasher so that I can immediately rinse off the parts of the food processor and get them into the machine.

@Porthos, If you're grating rather than shredding with the food processor, does that mean you are using the steel blade, rather than a disc?  Does the Monterey Jack grate nicely that way?  The kind I usually get is significantly softer than cheddar and I feel that it might get clumpy, but I'm just speculating.

Fernwood

Fernwood

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

I regularly grate 2 lb blocks of sharp cheddar divided into 8 oz portions. They go into quart Ziplocs and get frozen. We pull them out one at a time to keep in the fridge. We've been doing this for years. There are four adults in our household at the moment but even when it was just my DW and myself we went through the cheese fast enough for mold to never be a problem. Right now we're also grating 2 lb blocks of Monterey Jack. All of this grating is done using a food processor. I do have one timing requirement for when to grate. I want an empty dishwasher so that I can immediately rinse off the parts of the food processor and get them into the machine.

If you're grating, rather than shredding, with the food processor, does that mean you are using the steel blade, rather than a disc?  Does the Monterey Jack grate nicely that way?  The kind I usually get is significantly softer than cheddar and I feel that it might get clumpy, but I'm just speculating.