• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Toliver

Toliver

Clarification

18 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Sorry, but your link wording confused me. You will still be able to send that lovely (hideous) sweater to cousin Jimmy at his home address, but, you will have the option of using his email or mobile phone number. 

The link wording wasn't mine. It was the title of the article provided by that web site's editor and/or reporter.

The gist of it means that the recipient of your electronic gift will be notified via either their email address or, likely, a text sent to their mobile phone number. All this means is If the gift giver doesn't have the recipient's home address, there's an alternative way of sending someone a gift from Amazon.
Then when the recipient (who got the email or text) goes to Amazon to receive the gift, Amazon will let them decide whether to accept the original gift as-is, or they can opt to not receive that gift but receive an equitable gift card amount from Amazon. 

The original gift-sender won't know that the recipient decided not to receive their gift and get the Amazon gift card instead. The original sender will just be notified by Amazon that the recipient said something generic like "Thanks for the gift"...not knowing an exchange happened.

Supposedly, this will make everyone happy.

Toliver

Toliver

18 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

Sorry, but your link wording confused me. You will still be able to send that lovely (hideous) sweater to cousin Jimmy at his home address, but, you will have the option of using his email or mobile phone number. 

The link wording wasn't mine. It was the title of the article provided by that web site's editor and/or reporter.

The gist of it means that the recipient of your gift will be notified via either their email address or, likely, a text sent to their mobile phone number. 
Then when the recipient goes to Amazon to receive the gift, Amazon will let them decide whether to accept the original gift as-is, or they can opt to not receive that gift but receive an equitable gift card amount from Amazon. 

The original gift-sender won't know that the recipient decided not to receive their gift and get the Amazon gift card instead. The original sender will just be notified by Amazon that the recipient said something generic like "Thanks for the gift"...not knowing an exchange happened.

Supposedly, this will make everyone happy.