• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I've cooked loin lamb chops sous vide but never shoulder chops.  The few times I have bought shoulder chops I used them for stew.  How tender are they done this way?

We are about to find out!  I have often treated shoulder lamb chops  just as I treat loin chop. I have found them to be remarkably tender. As I was researching time and temperature for shoulder chops, I found quite a discussion as to whether they should be treated as a tender cut or a tough cut.  I think just because a cow, a much older animal, has tough meat around the shoulder region does not necessarily mean a lamb is the same.   I will let you know later this evening. 

Anna N

Anna N

I've cooked loin lamb chops sous vide but never shoulder chops.  The few times I have bought shoulder chops I used them for stew.  How tender are they done this way?

We are about to find out!  I have often treated shoulder lamb chops  just as I treat loin chop. I have found them to be remarkably tender. As I was researching time and temperature for shoulder  I have found them to be remarkably tender. As I was researching time and temperature for shoulder chops, I found quite a discussion as to whether they should be treated as a tender cut or a tough cut.  I think just because a cow, a much older animal, has tough meat around the shoulder region does not necessarily mean a lamb is the same.   I will let you know later this evening. 

Anna N

Anna N

We are about to find out!  I have often treated shoulder lamb chops  just as I treat loin chop. I have found them to be remarkably tender. As I was researching time and temperature for shoulder  I have found them to be remarkably tender. As I was researching time and temperature chops I found quite a discussion as to whether they should be treated as a tender c I found quite a discussion as to whether they should be treated as a tender cut  or tough cut.  I think just because a cow, a much older animal, has tough meet around the shoulder region does not necessarily mean a lamb is the same.   I will let you know later this evening.