• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

divalasvegas

divalasvegas

Additional comments.

Hello all. Finally did the water test and glad to say that all seems to be fine. Was actually kind of stressing myself out while doing this by following both the IP user manual and the online instructional video suggested here since the instructions in the dopey user manual takes you through only about two thirds of the process and then NOTHING after the process reaches the Keep Warm phase.

Unbelievably, It left out that the display will change, that you needed to press the Cancel button to turn it off, then switch the Release Valve to the Release position, wait for the Float Valve to go down and that the device will beep when the cycle is complete before removing the top, or anything about how long each stage takes. Come to think of it, the manual only provides HALF of the information to run the water test! Thank goodness for that online video.

The whole process is really not that complicated; it's just the IP's user manual makes it seem that way.  *** Rant over ***

Anyway, I decided that my first recipe using the pressure cooking mode will be 15 bean soup instead of Coq au Vin as stated in a previous post.* Figured I'd do something real simple for my first foray. I will be using these instructions:

http://simplepressurecookermeals.com/15-bean-soup-instant-pot/

Except for the pressure cooking, I plan on making this how I would normally do it meaning throw out that seasoning packet, not soaking the beans, season with onions, garlic (ha ha, the instructions call for one teaspoon of garlic), ham hocks and unsmoked fresh pork neck bones. Then, when the beans are done, add my own seasoning, Rotel tomatoes and maybe a diced jalapeno. Also might add diced celery, carrots and potatoes and either return it to the Pressure setting for a few minutes or just switch to the Simmer function. One thing I plan on changing is the amount of water, since I believe that the soup mix has 20 ounces of beans, I will add at least 10-12 cups of water, not 8 as the instructions suggest.

I won't be doing this until this Thursday after my weekly trip to the grocery store so any tips from you all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

* Since I promised to experiment on/treat my three housemates to a sampling of the Coq au Vin, I definitely wanted to have a successful outcome first with something simple that I have made many times before like 15 bean soup.

Edited to add my deepest thanks to Shelby for the link you posted within this topic on 8/8/17 of the step-by-step video for doing the water test:

https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-water-test/

divalasvegas

divalasvegas

Hello all. Finally did the water test and glad to say that all seems to be fine. Was actually kind of stressing myself out while doing this by following both the IP user manual and the online instructional video suggested here since the instructions in the dopey user manual takes you through only about two thirds of the process and then NOTHING after the process reaches the Keep Warm phase.

Unbelievably, It left out that the display will change, that you needed to press the Cancel button to turn it off, then switch the Release Valve to the Release position, wait for the Float Valve to go down and that the device will beep when the cycle is complete before removing the top, or anything about how long each stage takes. Come to think of it, the manual only provides HALF of the information to run the water test! Thank goodness for that online video.

The whole process is really not that complicated; it's just the IP's user manual makes it seem that way.  *** Rant over ***

Anyway, I decided that my first recipe using the pressure cooking mode will be 15 bean soup instead of Coq au Vin as stated above.* Figured I'd do something real simple for my first foray. I will be using these instructions:

http://simplepressurecookermeals.com/15-bean-soup-instant-pot/

Except for the pressure cooking, I plan on making this how I would normally do it meaning throw out that seasoning packet, not soaking the beans, season with onions, garlic (ha ha, the instructions call for one teaspoon of garlic), ham hocks and unsmoked fresh pork neck bones. Then, when the beans are done, add my own seasoning, Rotel tomatoes and maybe a diced jalapeno. Also might add diced celery, carrots and potatoes and either return it to the Pressure setting for a few minutes or just switch to the Simmer function. One thing I plan on changing is the amount of water, since I believe that the soup mix has 20 ounces of beans, I will add at least 10-12 cups of water, not 8 as the instructions suggest.

I won't be doing this until this Thursday after my weekly trip to the grocery store so any tips from you all will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

* Since I promised to experiment on/treat my three housemates to a sampling of the Coq au Vin, I definitely wanted to have a successful outcome first with something simple that I have made many times before like 15 bean soup.