• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

I play this by ear.

this is just s coating usually , maybe a bit more

Id say for just a coating for an individual portion of pasta

a generous tablespoon would be a good starter.   maybe about the same of water.

you want it smooth and a little thicker than heavy cream.  you add that to the reduced sauce you made

mix quickly and add hot pasta

the benefit is it acts like heavy cream  which is more or less is at this point and won't ' split ' w wine  i.e. acid.

you want more creamy sauce ?   add more flavorings at the beginning and more cream cheese and water mixture at the end

the reason you add the water to the cream cheese first is so the final sauce is not lumpy but smooth.

try it

report back.

rotuts

rotuts

I play this by ear.

this is just s coating usually , maybe a bit more

Id say for just a coating for an individual portion of pasta

a generous tablespoon would be a good starter.   maybe about the same of water.

you want it smooth and a little thicker than heavy cream.  you add that to the reduced sauce you made

mix quickly and add hot pasta

the benefit is it acts like heavy cream  which is more or less is at this point and won't ' split ' w wine  i.e. acid.

you want more creamy sauce ?   add more flavorings at the beginning and more cream cheese and water mixture at the end

the reason you add the water is so the final sauce is not limp and smooth.

try it

report back.