• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andiesenji

andiesenji

I've been making soda bread almost my entire life.

I knead it a bit, the same way I do my scone dough - not too much or it will get tough.

I form it into a round, slap it onto a baking sheet  and cut straight down first one way, then the other all the way to the pan - so it is in 4 quarters but still together.  I use a bench knife.

It looks like this.  Usually like the one on the left but sometimes like the one on the right.  

I've never seen it done any differently.  

andiesenji

andiesenji

I've been making soda bread almost my entire life.

I knead it a bit, the same way I do my scone dough - not too much or it will get tough.

I form it into a round, slap it onto a baking sheet  and cut straight down first one way, then the other so it is in 4 quarters but still together.  I use a bench knife.

It looks like this.  Usually like the one on the left but sometimes like the one on the right.  

I've never seen it done any differently.