• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

20 hours ago, heidih said:

As always inspirational. Includng the food ideas.

As to your earlier comment re power lines in a lovely image: I've come to a point of acceptance and view them as signposts of human connectivity.

That's an interesting perspective.  The island is trying to bury the power lines in areas that are deemed to be at very high risk during storms, such as right next to the shore, but it is a very slow moving process, and the island's power system is really unstable for other reasons that underground lines won't help with.   I won't get into that here.

We spent the day at Cinnamon beach

cinnamonright2.thumb.jpg.896e8cac33fe6cc725285fb33f9443ee.jpg

It was really windy, so we could not snorkel, but it was fine for swimming.  I stopped for the obligatory scenic overlook picture of Trunk Bay

trunknofilter2.thumb.jpg.2a4bb9f99a29241fe8a2656bd85d7afd.jpg

and then we headed back to the house, because we were planning on just hanging out and cooking dinner there. I like the way the house is almost hidden down a lush path 

beachgarden2.thumb.jpg.05746577abcf01ff7386dba91b4378f1.jpg

short after we arrived to the pool, it started raining again.  We did get a rainbow

rainbow2.thumb.jpg.b1369678a40ebfd181101a884ee75870.jpg

Cooking dinner was a bit of a challenge.  The kitchen is really under equipped for such an upscale house.  I'll be leaving some feedback for sure, since we are already booked to come back here.  Nephew grilled some chicken we had marinated in advance, I struggled to make flatbread in the only large skillet available on one of the two working burners on the stove, and my sister made a salad from delicious local greens.  Viola, chicken shawarma of sorts.

shawarmachicken.thumb.jpg.889d8e015b108e9343d9c5cdbeb7c935.jpg

shawarma.thumb.jpg.236f788cf31d3f11f2456fb94c4fd2b5.jpg

liamsaunt

liamsaunt

20 hours ago, heidih said:

As always inspirational. Includng the food ideas.

As to your earlier comment re power lines in a lovely image: I've come to a point of acceptance and view them as signposts of human connectivity.

That's an interesting perspective.  The island is trying to bury the power lines in areas that are deemed to be at very high risk during storms, such as right next to the shore, but it is a very slow moving process, and the island's power system is really unstable for other reasons that underground lines won't help with.   I won't get into that here.

We spent the day at Cinnamon beach

cinnamonright2.thumb.jpg.896e8cac33fe6cc725285fb33f9443ee.jpg

It was really windy, so we could not snorkel, but it was fine for swimming.  I stopped for the obligatory scenic overlook picture of Trunk Bay

trunknofilter2.thumb.jpg.2a4bb9f99a29241fe8a2656bd85d7afd.jpg

and then we headed back to the house, because we were planning on just hanging out and cooking dinner there. I like the way the house is almost hidden down a lush path 

beachgarden2.thumb.jpg.05746577abcf01ff7386dba91b4378f1.jpg

short after we arrived to the pool, it started raining again.  We did get a rainbow

rainbow2.thumb.jpg.b1369678a40ebfd181101a884ee75870.jpg

Cooking dinner was a bit of a challenge.  The kitchen is really under equipped for such an upscale house.  I'll be leaving some feedback for sure, since we are already booked to come back here.  Nephew grilled some chicken we had marinated in advance, I struggled to make flatbread in the only large skillet available on one of the two working burners on the stove, and my sister made a salad from delicious local greens.  Viola, chicken shawarma of sorts.

shawarma.thumb.jpg.236f788cf31d3f11f2456fb94c4fd2b5.jpg

shawarma chicken.jpg