• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Mangosteens are also among my favourite fruits and there are those who will wish me intense harm when I say that I've only ever had them fresh and it's the season now. 

We pick out our selection here both in markets and supermarkets. 

As to testing their freshness, I rely a lot on the old "know your supplier" principle, but in addition employ a squeeze and scratch method. A squeeze should react as in the post above. If more than usually suspicious, a light scratch should reveal that the purple skin is still slightly moist (leaking purple juices, which are sadly beautiful but inedible.) A dry skin is not a good sign. Nor would be a mushy one.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Mangosteens are also among my favourite fruits and there are those who will wish me intense harm when I say that I've only ever had them fresh and it's the season now. 

We pick out our selection here l both in markets and supermarkets. 

As to testing their freshness, I rely a lot on the old "know your supplier" principle, but in addition employ a squeeze and scratch method. A squeeze should react as in the post above. If more than usually suspicious, a light scratch should reveal that the purple skin is still slightly moist (leaking purple juices, which are sadly beautiful but inedible.) A dry skin is not a good sign. Nor would be a mushy one.

liuzhou

liuzhou

We pick out our selection here.

liuzhou

liuzhou

We pick out our selection here.

As to testing their freshness, I rely a lot on the old "know your supplier" principle, but in addition employ a squeeze and scratch method. A squeeze should react as in the post above. A slight scratch should reveal that the purple skin is still slightly moist (leaking purple juices, which are sadly beautiful but inedible.) A dry skin is not a good sign. Nor would be a mushy one.