• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

Had som tum at a Thai restaurant last night, how do you know when a green papaya is “ripe” for use?

For ส้มตำ (som tam), when you can cut or peel it without breaking your knife or peeler in half. The one I bought is literally rock hard, but should be OK after a day or two on the counter. It can be difficult to be sure, but if there is even the slightest give when you press it's good to go. I use a peeler to peel it (of course) but also to cut it into strips which I then pound to tenderize.

This recipe is basically what I do.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

Had som tum at a Thai restaurant last night, how do you know when a green papaya is “ripe” for use?

For ส้มตำ (som tam), hen you can cut or  it without breaking your knife or peeler in half. the one I bought is literally rock hard, but should be OK after a day or two on the counter. It can be difficult to be sure, but if there is even the slightest give when you press it's good to go. I use a peeler to peel it (of course) but also to cut it into strips which I then pound to tenderize.

This recipe is basically what I do.