• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Reed & Thistle

Reed & Thistle

Good Morning . Testing out the Master List is a job that will take some dedication, and today that means suffering the social ills of morning drinking. But really could there be any other way to check out the somewhat infamous CORPSE REVIVER No.2.

Gin, Lillet (or in our case our own rough approximation that works well enough because NB Liquor doesn't carry it and we can't sell anything that doesn't come through them), cointreau, lemon juice and absinthe. Technically in the family of sours, this one is light and extremely pleasant and certainly could go downrange very easily, but proportionally this is a high test cocktail that doing so would put you back where you were the night before in no time. Unlike the Gin Sour, the Lillet (or our substitution for such), the orange tones of the Cointreau and the absinthe almost completely eliminate the gin aftertaste with the absinthe having the final say.  Oh and it is worth mentioning that we are upping the game and leaving the Absente behind us and going with an actual absinthe produced here in New Brunswick which has managed some accolades, La Courailleuse form Distillerie Fils du Roy.

For our purposes here and the lack of proper Lillet until I can work something out with another Bar and NB liquor and maybe get it ordered, I had to improvise. Honestly not having any Lillet on hand to really attempt to mimic, I am shooting in the dark. But in my favour the drink still works fantastically, and nobody in these parts is likely to be able to tell me how off I am, so I can bluff this one, no problem, and have our own unique Corpse Reviver No.2. If anyone out there can help me improve on my fakery, that would be awesome.  So at present I know Lillet is an apartif wine, with citrus and flowery notes.  So I figure, here the Gin can help along the herbal stature of the drink, which leaves me tending to the orange nature.  Not wanting to count on Cointreau entirely for that, I decided to muddle Dry Vermouth with a piece or orange peel, and in an added attempt to get a bit of the bitter nature of Kina Lillet as it has been described, I took a second pass with the peeler to get a piece of the white bitter pith.  I am thinking in the future a combination of Dry vermouth, muddled orange peel and a dash of grapefruit bitters when I can get my hands on some.  Anyway, your thought would be appreciated.

Gary

corpse reviver No.2.jpg

Reed & Thistle

Reed & Thistle

Good Morning . Testing out the Master List is a job that will take some dedication, and today that means suffering the social ills of morning drinking. But really could there be any other way to check out the somewhat infamous CORPSE REVIVER No.2.

Gin, Lillet (or in our case our own rough approximation that works well enough because NB Liquor doesn't carry it and we can't sell anything that doesn't come through them), cointreau, lemon juice and absinthe. Technically in the family of sours, this one is light and extremely pleasant and certainly could go downrange very easily, but proportionally this is a high test cocktail that doing so would put you back where you were the night before in no time. Unlike the Gin Sour, the Lillet (or our substitution for such), the orange tones of the Cointreau and the absinthe almost completely eliminate the gin aftertaste with the absinthe having the final say.  Oh and it is worth mentioning that we are upping the game and leaving the Absente behind us and going with an actual absinthe produced here in New Brunswick which has managed some accolades, La Courailleuse form Distillerie Fils du Roy.

For our purposes here and the lack of proper Lillet until I can work something out with another Bar and NB liquor and maybe get it ordered, I had to improvise. Honestly not having any Lillet on hand to really attempt to mimic, I am shooting in the dark. But in my favour the drink still works fantastically, and nobody in these parts is likely to be able to tell me how off I am, so I can bluff this one, no problem, and have our own unique Corpse Reviver No.2. If anyone out there can help me improve on my fakery, that would be awesome.  So at present I know Lillet is an apartif wine, with citrus and flowery notes.  So I figure, here the Gin can help along the herbal stature of the drink, which leaves me tending to the orange nature.  Not wanting to count on Cointreau entirely for that, I decided to muddle Dry Vermouth with an orange slice, and in an added attempt to get a bit of the bitter nature of Kina Lillet as it has been described, I took a second pass with the peeler to get a piece of the white bitter pith.  I am thinking in the future a combination of Dry vermouth, muddled orange peel and a dash of grapefruit bitters when I can get my hands on some.  Anyway, your thought would be appreciated.

Gary

corpse reviver No.2.jpg